How to Set Up & Mount a Mailbox
Follow U.S. Postal Service® guidelines for installing and placing a new mailbox at your home. Get tips on the best materials to use to set up a curbside mailbox and how to keep it in good condition. Make sure that your mail carrier always has a clear path to your mailbox whether it's by the street or mounted on your house.
Mailbox Size & Construction Standards
A mailbox with the Postmaster General's (PMG) seal of approval meets USPS size and construction standards. If you build your own mailbox or buy a custom-made one, it must meet the PMG standards. Show your local postmaster your mailbox plans or your custom-made box for approval.
To get drawings and measurements for building your own mailbox, write to US Postal Service Engineering.
Want to buy a mailbox big enough for packages? See Next Generation Mailboxes.
Where to Place the Mailbox
Here are some helpful guidelines to follow when placing your mailbox:
- Position your mailbox 41″ to 45″ from the road surface to the bottom of the mailbox or point of mail entry.
- Place your mailbox 6″ to 8″ back from the curb. 如果没有凸起的马路牙，可以联系当地邮局局长获得指导。
Installing the Mailbox Post
- A 4″ x 4″ wooden support or a 2″-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
- Bury your post no more than 24″ deep.
Door Slots & Wall Mailboxes
Some homes and apartments have a slot in the door for receiving mail instead of a mailbox. 合格门上收信口的标准是：
- The opening must be at least 1 1/2″ x 7″.
- The bottom of the slot must be at least 30″ above floor.
- Vertical slots must be hinged on the opposite side from the door's hinges.
For greater privacy, you can also install a mail slot hood on the inside of your door to prevent someone from seeing into your home. The standards for door slot hoods are:
- The hood should not project more than 2 1/16″ beyond the inside of the door.
- On a vertical slot, the hood should not extend beyond the side of the outside plate on same side as the door's hinges.
- To replace your curbside mailbox with a wall-mounted mailbox, you must get your local postmaster's permission.
- Choose from a variety of mailbox sizes and styles; mounted mailboxes are not required to have a PMG seal of approval.
- Get a wall mailbox that can hold a normal day's mail volume, including letter-sized envelopes, postcards, and catalogs.*
- Place the mailbox near the main entrance so your mail carrier can easily see it.
*注意：Wall-mounted mailboxes may only be used for items with postage. Newspapers may not be placed in the mailbox.