Thousands of Post Offices™ around the U.S. accept first-time passport applications for the United States Department of State.Post Offices that accept passport applications offer products and services for both first-time and renewal passport applications.Some locations can take your passport photo.
Use Find USPS Locations to visit a Post Office with passport acceptance services.You can filter your Post Office search to find specific passport services.Although some Post Offices offer walk-in passport acceptance, many Post Offices offering passport services require an appointment.
第 1 步：Start Early - Gather Documents
在旅行开始的几个月前申请护照。First-time applicants, minors, and applicants who may not renew by mail may submit their passport application at the Post Office.The U.S. State Department website explains what you'll need to bring with you.
- Application forms (unsigned)
- Proof of identity document and a photocopy of the front and back
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship document and a photocopy of the front and back
- Passport fees
第 2 步：Prepare Your Application Package
Visit the U.S. Department of State website to learn how to apply for a passport and what documents you need.
- Complete your Form DS-11 Application for U.S. Passport on the State Department website.
- Print your completed application.
DO NOT SIGN YOUR APPLICATION.A Postal employee must witness your signature.
- Have a passport photo taken.
说明：Many Post Offices with passport services can also take your photo.Call to confirm your Post Office takes photos.
- Photocopy your proof of identity and U.S. Citizenship documents.
- Calculate your fees.
- Post Offices accept credit cards, checks, and money orders for Post Office acceptance fees.
- State Department fees are mailed with your application.You can pay with a personal, certified, cashier's, traveler's check, or money order, payable to "U.S. Department of State."
第 3 步：查找邮局
Post Offices have set hours for passport services.Many require an appointment.Use the Find USPS Locations tool to find the nearest Post Office offering passport services.
- Go to Find USPS Locations.
- Select Passports from Location Types.
- Enter a ZIP Code™ or address.
- Select a mileage range.
- Click Refine search to select services such as walk-in, appointment, or photos.
- Click Search.
Need a Passport in a Hurry?
Leaving Within 2-3 Weeks
To get a new passport application processed within 2–3 weeks, submit your application at a passport acceptance Post Office and pay for expedited processing and overnight delivery.
- Prepare your application package as listed in Step 2:Prepare Your Application Package.
- Add the expedited processing fee of $60, payable to the U.S. Department of State, to your other fees.
- USPS mails your application package to the State Department for processing.You can purchase Priority Mail Express® to expedite delivery.Cost varies by location.
- Purchase overnight return delivery for $15.45, payable to the U.S. Department of State.
Leaving Within 2 Weeks or Less
说明：If you are traveling within 2 weeks or need a foreign visa within 30 days, you must apply at a Department of State passport agency.You can make an appointment online or call 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY).
First-time passport applications haves two types of basic fees, the application acceptance fee and the application processing fee.Passport photos and fees for faster processing are extra.
Application Acceptance Fees – Postal Service
Pay acceptance fees in person at the Post Office.You may pay by check or money order, payable to "Postmaster," debit card, or credit card.
- $25.00 - Post Office acceptance fee
- $15.00 - Post Office photo fee (if needed)
Application Processing Fees – Department of State
State Department payment is sent with your application package.State Department fees are paid separately from USPS fees.
- State Department Fees
State Department passport fees vary.Calculate passport fees online.
- State Department Payment Methods
说明：You may not pay State Department fees with credit or debit cards.You may pay with:
- Personal, certified, cashiers, or traveler's check, payable to "U.S. Department of State."
- Money order payable to "U.S. Department of State."You may purchase a money order at the Post Office with a debit card.
Check Your Application Status
You can check your application processing status on the Department of State website 7-10 business days after you submitted your passport application at the Post Office.
Renew a Passport by Mail
第 1 步：提前申请
If you are renewing your passport using Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82, Post Offices do not need to review or process your application.You can mail your renewal application directly to the State Department yourself.
- Adult passports are valid for 10 years and may be renewed by mail.
- Minors' passports may not be renewed by mail.
- Many countries require that passports be valid for at least 6 months after you enter their country.Renew your passport in plenty of time for those trips or pay for expedited service.
第 2 步：Check Your Renewal Eligibility
You may renew your passport by mail if you still have your most recent passport.The passport must be:
- In your current name (name changes are explained on Change a Passport)
- Issued within the last 15 years
- Issued when you were age 16 or older
- Undamaged other than normal "wear and tear"
- Submitted with your renewal application
If your passport does not meet all these requirements, do not mail your renewal application.You must prepare the same application package as a first-time passport applicant.State Department Renew By Mail
第 3 步：Prepare Your Application Package
- Complete your Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82 on the State Department website.
- Print and sign your DS-82 form.
- Have a passport photo taken.
说明：Many Post Offices with passport services can also take your photo.Call to find out if your Post Office takes photos.
- Calculate your passport renewal fees.
- Collect your most recent passport, completed and signed application, renewal fees, and name change documents, if needed.
- Choose your envelope.
- Use an envelope large enough to fit the application without folding it.
- Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail service both provide free envelopes large enough to hold your application.
第 4 步：Mail Your Renewal Application
Department of State recommends using a USPS delivery tracking service to mail your renewal application.
- USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation
- USPS Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation
- USPS Express Mail (for overnight delivery requests)
Need to Renew in a Hurry?
If you need your passport in 2-3 weeks, you can pay an additional $60 for expedited service and mail it with Priority Mail Express.
- Check your renewal eligibility in Step 2.
- Prepare your application as listed in Step 3:Prepare Your Application Package.
- Add these special fees, both payable to the U.S. Department of State, to your regular processing fees.
- $60.00 - Expedited application processing at the State Department
- $15.45 - Overnight return delivery to you from the State Department
- Ship your application to the State Department by Priority Mail Express.Cost varies by location.
Follow Your Application Progress
- If you used a USPS tracking service to mail your application, you can see when it arrived using the tracking number on your receipt.
- Seven to ten business days after you submitted your application, you can check its processing status on the Department of State website.
Passports for Minors Under 16
Passport applications for children under 16 have special requirements.
- Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of a child's passport.The best way to give consent is for both parents/guardians to go with the child when applying.
- Children need evidence of citizenship.
- Parents/guardians need proof of parental relationship.
- 说明：Children's passports are only valid for 5 years.
State Department Passport Tips & Help
U.S. State Department Website